Chinese Academy of Sciences Visiting Professorships for Senior International Scientists
The aim of the Visiting Professorships Program is to enhance the science & technology innovation capacity of CAS institutes by inviting accomplished researchers from overseas to participate in research in CAS with the hope of strengthening the cooperation and exchange between CAS institutes and international research institutions and universities.
The Visiting Professorships Program is for international scientists either currently or previously working in well-known universities, research institutes or multi-national corporations, who wish to develop an effective long-term collaborative relationship with the CAS. These scientists should have the same or similar research interests as their CAS collaborators.
The Visiting Professorships Program provides for visits of 2-12 months duration. Funding covers the personal expenses of the visiting international scientists (see Article 17). Such visits may be extended by agreement (see Article 24).
Candidatesfor the Visiting Professorships Program must meet the following criteria:
1. Citizenship of a nation that has formal diplomatic relations with the People’s Republic of China.
2. Hold a PhD degree, with academic standing as a Professor, Associate Professor or equivalent.
3. Good communication skills in English or Chinese, able to communicate independently in their place of work.
4. Commitment to abide by the laws of the People’s Republic of China and the relevant regulations of CAS and the host institute.
The collaborator within the host institute, preferably holding a PhD degree, should hold a senior research position, and be engaged in a major research program. He or she should have the capacity and working facilities to effectively conduct cooperative research with the visitor.
1. CAS will provide each recipient with a grant to cover the recipient’s salary, daily living allowance, and health insurance, from 400,000 to 500,000 RMB (pre-tax) per year, the exact amount being determined according to the length of the visit and the academic level of the visitor.
2. A recipient who is currently a professor or equivalent, including any who have received a world-class award such as a Nobel prize or equivalent, will receive up to 500,000 RMB a year. A recipient of lower academic standing such as an associate professor or equivalent will receive up to 400,000 RMB a year.
3. CAS will also provide a round-trip (economy-class) international airfare between the airport located nearest to the visitor’s home and that nearest to the host institute.
There are two application routes for the Fellowships. Applications may be submitted by a CAS host institute or by a designated international partner institution of the CAS.
1. Applications from host institutions: a host institute may submit applications taking into account its needs and capacity and the level of its cooperation and communication with a given candidate.
2. Applications from foreign partner institutions: CAS will invite key international partner institutions to nominate potential visitors.
3. Applicationsfrom CAS institutes and international partner institutions are to be submitted to the Bureau of International Cooperation, CAS, during two specific periods each year. The first round of applications is from March 1-15 and the second from September 1-15.
All applications please email to: email@example.com
Attachment: APPLICATION FOR CHINESE ACADEMY OF SCIENCES VISITING PROFESSORSHIP FOR SENIOR INTERNATIONAL SCIENTISTS